Friday, October 24, 2008

Ugh Why won't you just sleep.

I should begin by saying that I love to sleep. When I worked at camp I had a friend who would sometimes exclaim "I love bed." when she laid down at night a habit I have picked up and use from time to time to this day. I especially love bed since we got our nice new memory foam mattress that makes a welcoming dent to any part of my body that touches it. So the point is I like to sleep and truly don't get my daughters current aversion to it. I mean really honey you're a year old and Mommy wants a restful nights sleep and to not spend her days with an angry tired cranky baby that may take a 1.5 hour nap if she passes out from exhaustion but would prefer to fight it till the cows come home. Right now the little mess of angry exhaustion is up in her crib caring on about how much she isn't tired and doesn't need a nap. When I go up there she will be standing in the corner closest to the door. She was also up screaming for a good hour last night bc I don't feel that a 1yo need to be fed or rocked at 2am when she just ate at 10:30. Truth be told I'd like to drop the 10:30 as well. Oh and if your out there in cybre space thinking "well I have a much littler baby who sleeps so much better what a good parent am I" let me just tell you Emily slept great from 6weeks to about 8.5 months. Then she hit the dreaded 9 month sleep regression better known as learning to pull up and has been a little terror ever since. Oh and if your thinking "well gosh why doesn't she just rock, feed, or take that poor baby to bed with her?" its bc it doesn't help. I feed her and she's back to screaming within 20min (not enough time for mommy to fall asleep anyways), I rock her and she cuddles in but screams the moment I lean over the crib, I bring her to bed with us and she pulls up on our headboard and tries to take nose dives off the side of the bed. I don't find this conducive to sleep. Oh and she used to sleep till 8:30 (she'd wake up to eat but who cares if you get to sleep in) now its and event if she sleeps to 7:00. A rare event to boot. Ok I'm done complaining I love her very much and we are working hard on this but man Elijah was awful to start but we ferberized once at 9 months and that was that. Emily seems to need to be reminded constantly that babies lay down and go back to sleep if they wake up in the middle of the night and they don't need their mommies to do that.

No comments: