Monday, June 22, 2009
A first attempt at something new.
One day I will learn to intersperce text but in the mean time oh well. A few months ago I bought some heirloom sewing books from the mid 80s on sewing mamas. They came with directions to modify exicting patterns into really beautiful garments as well as directions for making slopers to your child's measurements and then drafting a pattern from there. If the first thing you said is what are slopers then you know how I felt but I read the directions and followed threw the process as best I could. As you can see from the pictures fitting a muslin to a toddler is not an easy task. I did use safety pins not straight pins though so that helped a lot. She is also taller then she is wide so I had to adjust the width quite a bit. I felt like the final dress was still a bit wide but that was more bc of how much width the had you add around your sloper in the directions. I will be doing the width based much more closely on her chest measurement in the future. These were also my first pin tucks and the first time I did hand embroidery on a dress so all in all I'm pleased. A little sad too though bc this was called "the baby dress" and while its beautiful I have to confess its a touch babyish on her as she really isn't a baby anymore. I just had to sneak one of these in before she was way too old for it. I will be trying to do several more things from this book for her fall/winter wardrobe as they had some great information about using velveteen and corduroy. I also think its great to have more specific instructions for heirloom techniques and pattern modification.